Friday, August 23, 2013

Arabian Halters- GC Version

My first effort with beaded halters paid off. By marketing to Grand Champion collectors, I was able to bypass the difficult to handle Breyer and resin buyers, who expect top-notch LSQ work, something I'm not even close to being able to create. GC lovers want fun and pretty, and that I can do.

My first halter I made for myself was asked about, and that turned into a family set!


The mare's was the original. I had created it to fit on the Arabian pose mare, but luckily the browband was adjustable, and it easily adapted to the classic mare's head.


The stallion's head is a bit wider, so his was custom made to fit his broad face. Also, the star piece I used had an extra loop at the bottom, so I strung a set of beads between it and the side rings.

It will look great sitting on a shelf, as it's much too delicate for too much movement. The rhinestones are supposed to be self-adhesive, but they don't stick very well through on-again off-again motions. I didn't want to use any ribbon glue, in case it stiffened the breastcollar and made it not flexible.

Either way, it turned out very cute!

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Those are adorable! :) I love the way you did the stallion's halter on the top with the extra beads going down.

    Grand Champion collectors remind me of how the Breyer hobby was when I first joined it...when live shows weren't the be all and end all of everything. So glad you found a group to appreciate your pretty halters!

    If I wasn't trying very hard not to collect tack anymore I would be tempted to trade for one LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you probably know, I'm a tackmaker and am deeply entrenched in the ultra-realistic, live show driven part of the model horse hobby. Despite that (or maybe because of it!), I am so glad to learn there are other markets where fun and pretty is more important than perfectly in scale. Honestly, I think there is a lot of value in making things just because they look nice. I love your Arabian halters! They are very pretty and flatter your GC's heads.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am in love with your work- your talent and skill inspire me all the time. One of these days I hope to own a few pieces of yours :)

      I also aspire to photograph live horses as well as you do. Your posts are such a big help to so many people!

      Delete
  3. They are lovely! I love the star on the taller ones forehead. :)

    ReplyDelete