Monday, February 25, 2013

2013 Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show

I got to go again this year, thanks to my awesome Grandma, who likes looking at the pretty grays.

I posted the whole reel on a photobucket album here

http://s179.beta.photobucket.com/user/fearthegold/library/2013%20Scottsdale%20Arabian%20Horse%20Show

For those who don't want to wade through all 359 photos, I'll do a highlight here!

I went Saturday the 23rd and Sunday the 24th to meet Sshameless and watch the Classic Championships. Those are always the highlights for me. I tried to catch a few of the other events, but the seats closest to the arenas are reserved and I only have a mid-range lens, so getting decent pictures is difficult. I'll leave awesome performance pictures and tack explanation posts to the Braymere blog ;)

Luckily, I was in the right place at the right time when Rick Love Stables was handing out fliers and inviting everyone to come for a meet n greet of their horses. I imagined they would allow us back into the stables to see the horses through the bars, but little did I know we would get a much closer display!

They brought out Ames Charisma, and it was my first time seeing a National Champion so close. The only celebrities I care about are the horse kind! Luckily for us, he was a bit of showoff.





I can't quite remember the names because I was too busy taking pictures, but the chestnut seemed a little intimidated at the nose-touching!

Later, I couldn't help getting a shot of this gorgeous black






Later that day (Saturday), I got to meet Sshameless. My grandma was again amazing and picked me up a signed copy of the Breyer model, who is just stunning in person, much like the real one!


I hate hate hate having my picture taken. I always look better in the mirror than in pictures! LOL. That is owner Lisa Shover, who I asked how Sshameless was named, and she had started explaining to me, as I remembered I should be looking at the camera for pictures.

Sunday morning, I wanted to watch the working cow competition before the Classics started at 10.






And then the Classics. I always take lots and lots of pictures (ergo why the album has 300+!)

They do geldings first, then fillies, colts, mares, stallions, and supreme champion. Both years I've gone, champion stallion took supreme champion. Seems reasonable, considering how flashy they are!



This was the second time he got the filly to do this, so I'm assuming it was a trick they were teaching her. Unfortunately, right after this picture, she got her leg tangled in the line and took off. They stopped her over near the gate, and she seemed unharmed. Last year they had a loose horse, as well, although the baby had gotten spunky and the amateur handler had let go of the leadline.

It's not always the babies who get skittish. This year, one of the stallions took a bit of a tumble. Sat down on his butt, really, but it is always nerve wracking because you don't want them to get hurt!


One of the stallions bolted as he came into the arena, and the handler was nearly dragged on his feet. Props to him, he was able to keep up with the stallion and get him under control, earning a large applause from the crowd. I don't get pictures of the actual incidents, because I don't want to create negative press for the horses/stables, and in case the horse/handler got hurt. I'm sure there are some floating around somewhere else, though, if you need to satisfy your curiousity!


And *Pogrom, winning the Stallion Classic Champion, as well as the Supreme Championship! He certainly is a gorgeous fellow!


No comments:

Post a Comment