Friday, February 22, 2013

Who Goes?

The last few days have left me pondering the question any hobbyist never really wants to face. If we have to start selling pieces from our collection-- who goes first?

For me, the biggest question is: GCs or Breyers? GCs are -not- as some hobbyist think, necessarily worth less. A NIB can easily go for $50, same as a RR Breyer. But most of my models aren't in boxes. And the ones that still are--are really really hard to get.(For not being resins or OOAK Stones, anyway)

The GCs (or Grand Champions, if anyone is new to my blog), are less valuable to the hobby as a whole, and take a lot less time to collect, as only a couple hundred were released, as opposed to thousands of Breyers. They are less likely to win in photo shows, and only specific clubs even contain classes for them. And they would never be at a live show except maybe as a prop.

But they mean something to me. The Breyers are obviously prettier, and more realistic, but some of them don't even have names. Every GC of mine (minus a few special exceptions) is named. Maybe two-thirds of my Breyers are so lucky. The GCs have been with me since I was 7. That's a lot to let go of.

The GC's came in families, for the most part. Once I start selling off one, I'm making a family incomplete. That suggests I should just sell any families I can part with. Ouch, that even looks painful written out.

The Breyers are the best choice. But most collectors are snobs. (Yes, I said it). If it's not perfect, it's body quality. And most people won't pay for what a model's worth, even NIB. I'd be taking a huge hit on the worth of my collection, and have to pay it all over again in the future to get them back.

And then, if I ever make it past that question, I'm still faced with the big one. Who first?

Obviously not my favorites. And if I'm lucky, my favorites and the expensive ones aren't one and the same. But the biggest rule is: the harder to find, the more it's worth. Generally. If I let go of the jewel in my collection, the rarest I've ever had, I've got a good chunk of money in my pocket. But I'll most likely never see it again. Is it worth it? Twenty years from now, when I look back, I'm either going to be glad I got rid of the ones I did to save the rest, or regret it for the rest of my life. How do you know which ones are which?

Sorry this isn't a performance post, or a how to do it yourself for cheap, or a yay-look at this cool model I got/made. But this is real, raw stuff that collectors deal with behind the scenes, and I'm willing to share a little bit of it with you guys. After this last mortgage goes through, there will be a measly $5 left. That was a close call. Next time, we might not make it all. And when it gets to that, even the favorites are on the chopping block.

3 comments:

  1. I'd sell the Breyers. You sound like you're attached to the GC's, and that's reason enough to keep them. Plus, I think they'd be harder to replace, because most of the hobby (myself included--sorry!) doesn't tend to hold them in high regard.

    Unless they're a popular mold and minty mint, OF Breyers are a dime a dozen. If you bought them new, you'll probably take a hit on them, but you can replace later at those same lower prices. Of course, you may not feel the need to do that. I got rid of a bunch of old, not particularly valuable Breyers last year. I really thought I'd miss some of them, but so far I haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to agree with Braymare. Sell the Breyers first. How many GCs are you going to find in collectable condition for much longer? They end up broken and thrown away. Chances are you can always replace a Breyer unless it's a hard to find one of a kind one. I'm not so sure about the Grand Champions. And they mean more to you so it'll be harder when you sell them.

    But Breyers aren't selling well right now for anyone. I see pages and pages of them going unsold on Ebay even at rock bottom prices.

    I've sold horses I regretted selling and never replaced them. Don't sell anything you think you will regret for the rest of your life if you can't get it back later. That will be the one you can NEVER get back no matter how common it is when you sell it. It's like a curse.

    I think a lot of Hobbiests are facing this right now. And things aren't selling.I've had some of my horses up for sale for over a year. So I guess you need to factor that in too, your Breyers might not sell...would the GCs? I would try the Breyers first though. I'm very attached to my Trad OF Breyers and would try to sell everything else before I hit those (hence why I was trying to sell SMs and customs) so I definitely understand your attachment to the GCs.

    The worst part of it is feeling guilty you spent money on them now that you need money for 'real life' I hate that feeling. *hugs* hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for replying. It is good to know there is support in the hobby, even in the bad times. My boyfriend has decided to sell some of his video games instead, so hopefully the horses are safe for now :)

    ReplyDelete