Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Named Crossbreeds (Funny)

In my quest to ID and pedigree all my orphans, I often play with the idea of choosing a named crossbreed to account for a model's strange color or models that just plain confuse me, such as the Breyer G4 Driving horse.

And last night, while browsing through unknown model horse stables (which typically suggests those owned by junior high or younger collectors), I found one that had a list of crossbreeds, and what to breed to get them. There was the Quarab, and the Morab, which were all fine and dandy, but then there were these:

Shetland Pony= Arabian x Miniature Horse
Hanoverian= Arabian x Clydesdale
Lipizzaner= Arabian x Lusitano
Spanish Barb= Arabian x Mustang
Morgan= Quarter Horse x Tennessee Walking Horse
Lusitano= Andalusian x Akhal Teke
Falabella= Andalusian x Miniature Horse

O.o

There were several others just as outlandish, but I didn't share the entire list on the forums in case the owner of the site read it and was offended/embarrassed. But how can I just let blatant misunderstanding be published for other young horse lovers to read? *sigh* I mostly wanted to share to let my friends giggle about it, but I didn't want to target anyone, especially a young, vulnerable girl. So, if she is, in fact, reading this, you can message me privately and I will help you out.

PS: According to the equations up there, a Lipizzaner would then be an Arabian-Andalusian-Akhal Teke mix. I don't know exactly what that would look like, but a Lipizzaner would not be it! Hehe

2 comments:

  1. Hmm you sure it wasn't from a game? I know in one of the horse games I played you had to breed a ton of weirdo breeds together like that to get those breeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I thought, too, but in her breeding rules she states she allows crossbreeding and that she provides a page that lists what breeds to cross to get what.
    My best guess is she played one of those messed up games and just took it for truth.

    ReplyDelete