Friday, April 22, 2011

And Just When I Thought....

....I might ever get the hang of it!

While searching for Babson horses of the Kuhaylan Jellabi strain, I ran across two articles,
http://egyptianarabian.blogspot.com/2009/10/kuhaylan-jellabi-versus-saqlawi-jedran.html
and
http://daughterofthewind.org/the-myth-of-kuhaylan-jellabi-in-egyptian-arabian-breeding/
(Note: the second article is duplicated on the page, so mind where one ends and the next one starts).

They say that based on genetics research done by a Michael Bowling, there are no Kuhaylan Jellabi asil horses in the Egyptian Arabian breeding. They also mention that although these findings came out over ten years ago, horse breeders still believe the "myth".

So....what am I to believe? And how does that affect my Kuhaylan Jellabi Egyptian Arabian I just bred?

2 comments:

  1. What I do is find horses that are the same age I need and the right strain/whatever. So if I find one that's listed as like Blue List Al Khamsa by the owners I pretty much know my horse would likely be too.

    A bit of a shortcut and maybe not the best way to do it but it stops me from worrying about stuff like this.

    Then again I never got that deep into the strains either (with the tail female lines and the strain names).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you do a search on Kuhaylan Jellabi Babson Arabians, a ton of horses pop up, from breeders saying they are that strain, even though the findings would prove that their horses are Saqlawi Jedran, usually through *Maaroufa or Fadl. So then I'm not sure if the owners just dismissed the findings, or aren't aware of them. I did find one site that said the horse had been called Kuhaylan, but through recent findings was really Saqlawi. So it makes me think that maybe most breeders are just clueless about the work Bowling did.

    ReplyDelete